Several scouts and leaders participated in the Ten Commandment Hike, put on by the Lauren Highland Council. The Ten Command Hike is a unique and exciting way to embrace the concept of religious acceptance and respect, learn local history, participate in community service, and have fun.
Scouts walked 4 miles to visit several churches in Oakland and listen to speakers talk about their religions. These included representatives from:
- Judaism at Rodef Shalom Temple
- Byzantine Catholic at the Holy Spirit Church
- Roman Catholic at St Paul’s Cathederal
- Baptist at the First Baptist Church
- Christian Science at the First Church-Christ Scientist
- Buddhism at Heinz Chapel
- Hinduism at Heinz Chapel
- Greek Orthodox at St. Nicholas Cathedral
Scouts were also treated to Organ performances and hot cocoa at the various churches. Overall it was very informative and interesting to learn about the different religions.